We support labeling genetically modified food, so you can make informed choices with a conscience for both health and the environment. Labeling is also important, because it allows you to report allergic or other adverse reactions to regulators.
- Consumer Groups Petition FDA to Ban GE Salmon as an Unsafe Food Additive
Groups say GE salmon as an unsafe food additive couldn’t pass proper review
- CA Assembly fails to pass bill to label GE fish
Consumers Union deeply dismayed at the failure of a bill that would have required labeling of genetically engineered fish, and protect consumer choice.
- CU: GE salmon needs more data before approval
CU to appear at Veterinary Medicine Advisory Committee meeting on Sept. 19-20
- FDA: Change process for approval of GE salmon
Aquavantage’s application for approval of GE salmon would be the first approved for human consumption
- CU letter to FDA regarding review of Aquavantage’s application for approval of genetically engineered (GE) salmon
CU strongly urges not to make a decision on the safety of the first GE animal to be approved for human consumption without the input of scientists
- Coming soon to a label near you?
Two victories this week on the food labeling front may help consumers make more informed decisions at the grocery store – although the changes won’t happen overnight. Connecticut became the first state in the US to pass a bill requiring the labeling of food products containing genetically engineered (GE) ingredients. Passed by an overwhelming Continue Reading
- Grocery Retailers Rule Out Sale of Genetically Engineered Salmon
Genetically engineered salmon could soon be on its way to your local grocery store – but you won’t find it at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or Aldi. These grocers are among the first to pledge not to sell the genetically modified fish if it is approved by the FDA for market. Several smaller chains, including Continue Reading
- Will you take action for GMO labeling?
Got a minute to make a few calls for a good cause this weekend? As part of the Yes on 37 campaign, we’re helping spread the word on behalf of our California coalition partners who are looking for volunteers to get out the vote on Prop 37 before Election Day. Prop 37 would require foods Continue Reading
- Lies, big money and criminal investigations
Lies, big money and criminal investigations. Sounds like the makings of a cable TV melodrama, not the fight over a voter ballot initiative. But the U.S. Department of Justice is now actively pursuing an investigation of a complaint that California’s No on 37 Campaign has made illegal use of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Continue Reading
- Consumers Union Supports Prop 37
Californians Have A Right to Know What’s in Their Food You’ve probably seen the ads on TV. Monsanto, DuPont and other business interests are spending $1 million a day to mislead Californians about Proposition 37, which would require labeling of genetically engineered foods (also known as genetically modified organisms or GMOs). Consumers Union, along with a host of Continue Reading
- Will California label GE fish?
With the FDA poised to approve genetically engineered (GE) salmon, California legislators are taking preemptive action to protect consumers from being blindsided when it hits the market. The FDA has indicated that if the new GE salmon is approved, they do not plan to require labeling. A bill currently making its way through the California Continue Reading
- CU talks GMOs on Dr. Oz TODAY
Tune in today as Dr. Oz tackles the issue of genetically modified foods, featuring CU Senior Scientist Michael Hansen as one of the guest experts on the topic.
- Fish fight
CU experts went to bat against GE salmon at this week’s FDA hearing, and during the media frenzy afterwards. _________________________________________
- What’s the big deal about genetically engineered salmon?
The debate heats up over GE salmon this weekend as the FDA kicks off a three-day hearing which may result in the approval and marketing of a genetically engineered animal for the first time.
- Good Grief! Could it be true? UPDATED
The Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund (FCLDF), a group primarily devoted to preserving the right to sell raw milk, has mounted a vociferous internet campaign to defeat HR 2749, the Food Safety Enhancement Act (FSEA), alleging that the bill will hurt small farms. The bill was recently received unanimous approval from the House Energy Continue Reading
- CT GMO Bill Heads to Governor Source: CBS (Monday June 3, 2013)
- GM salmon can breed with trout and harm ecosystem, warn scientists Source: The Telegraph (Wednesday May 29, 2013)
- CT Senate Backs Bill To Label Genetically Modified Foods Source: Hartford Courant (Tuesday May 21, 2013)
- Data on safety of P.E.I. salmon not there, warns expert Source: The Guardian (Thursday May 16, 2013)
- Vermont House of Representatives gives green light to GMO labeling bill Source: Food Navigator (Friday May 10, 2013)
- H-E-B and others won't sell modified salmon Source: San Antonio Express News (Wednesday March 27, 2013)
- Major Grocer to Label Foods With Gene-Modified Content Source: New York Times (Friday March 8, 2013)
- Whole Foods, Trader Joe's ban GMO salmon Source: San Francisco Chronicle (Wednesday March 20, 2013)
- Aquabounty, GMO Salmon Company, Struggling To Stay Afloat Source: Huffington Post (Tuesday December 4, 2012)
- Prop. 37: Genetic food labels defeated Source: SF Chronicle (Wednesday November 7, 2012)