We support labeling genetically modified food, so you can make informed choices with a conscience for both health and the environment. Labeling is also important, because it allows you to report allergic or other adverse reactions to regulators. More information at “GMOS: Demand Your Right to Know!”
- GMO labeling gains momentum in New England – with a few catches
Earlier this month, and within just days of each other, both Connecticut and Maine passed bills to require the labeling of food products that contain genetically modified ingredients. Much to the dismay of Monsanto and other biotech companies that lobbied heavily to kill the initiatives, the bills were passed with overwhelming support in both state Legislatures Continue Reading
- Coming soon to a label near you?
Two victories this week on the food labeling front may help consumers make more informed decisions at the grocery store – although the changes won’t happen overnight. Connecticut became the first state in the US to pass a bill requiring the labeling of food products containing genetically engineered (GE) ingredients. Passed by an overwhelming Continue Reading
- Grocery Retailers Rule Out Sale of Genetically Engineered Salmon
Genetically engineered salmon could soon be on its way to your local grocery store – but you won’t find it at Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s or Aldi. These grocers are among the first to pledge not to sell the genetically modified fish if it is approved by the FDA for market. Several smaller chains, including Continue Reading
- Will you take action for GMO labeling?
Got a minute to make a few calls for a good cause this weekend? As part of the Yes on 37 campaign, we’re helping spread the word on behalf of our California coalition partners who are looking for volunteers to get out the vote on Prop 37 before Election Day. Prop 37 would require foods Continue Reading
- Lies, big money and criminal investigations
Lies, big money and criminal investigations. Sounds like the makings of a cable TV melodrama, not the fight over a voter ballot initiative. But the U.S. Department of Justice is now actively pursuing an investigation of a complaint that California’s No on 37 Campaign has made illegal use of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Continue Reading
- Consumers Union Supports Prop 37
Californians Have A Right to Know What’s in Their Food You’ve probably seen the ads on TV. Monsanto, DuPont and other business interests are spending $1 million a day to mislead Californians about Proposition 37, which would require labeling of genetically engineered foods (also known as genetically modified organisms or GMOs). Consumers Union, along with a host of Continue Reading
- Will California label GE fish?
With the FDA poised to approve genetically engineered (GE) salmon, California legislators are taking preemptive action to protect consumers from being blindsided when it hits the market. The FDA has indicated that if the new GE salmon is approved, they do not plan to require labeling. A bill currently making its way through the California Continue Reading
- CU talks GMOs on Dr. Oz TODAY
Tune in today as Dr. Oz tackles the issue of genetically modified foods, featuring CU Senior Scientist Michael Hansen as one of the guest experts on the topic.
- Fish fight
CU experts went to bat against GE salmon at this week’s FDA hearing, and during the media frenzy afterwards. _________________________________________
- What’s the big deal about genetically engineered salmon?
The debate heats up over GE salmon this weekend as the FDA kicks off a three-day hearing which may result in the approval and marketing of a genetically engineered animal for the first time.
- Vermont House of Representatives gives green light to GMO labeling bill Source: Food Navigator (Friday May 10, 2013)
- H-E-B and others won't sell modified salmon Source: San Antonio Express News (Wednesday March 27, 2013)
- Major Grocer to Label Foods With Gene-Modified Content Source: New York Times (Friday March 8, 2013)
- Whole Foods, Trader Joe's ban GMO salmon Source: San Francisco Chronicle (Wednesday March 20, 2013)
- Aquabounty, GMO Salmon Company, Struggling To Stay Afloat Source: Huffington Post (Tuesday December 4, 2012)
- Prop. 37: Genetic food labels defeated Source: SF Chronicle (Wednesday November 7, 2012)
- Genetically engineered food: Put a label on it? Source: Star Tribune (Saturday October 27, 2012)
- Why California's Prop 37 should matter to anyone who cares about food Source: New York Times (Wednesday October 10, 2012)
- G.M.O.'s: Let's Label 'Em Source: New York Times (Saturday September 15, 2012)
- Battle over genetically engineered food heading to voters Source: LA Times (Thursday July 19, 2012)