Meat without Drugs
Many dangerous strains of bacteria are now resistant to most common antibiotics. Yet we continue to saturate our environment with antibiotics to promote the growth of livestock raised in crowded and unsanitary conditions. We must preserve our antibiotics, while improving life for our animals.
Consumers Union Documents
- CU letter to Trader Joe’s regarding overuse of antibiotics in livestock production
For over a year, Consumers Union has been urging Trader Joe’s to be an industry leader by stopping the sale of meat and poultry raised on antibiotics
- CU joins others in message to Obama Administration: End antibiotic overuse in food animal production
FDA recognized as early as 1977 that nontherapeutic uses of medically-important antibiotics in livestock feed threaten human health.
- Survey of Trader Joe’s Shoppers on Antibiotics and Meat
Consumer Reports National Research Center Survey of Trader Joe’s Shoppers on Antibiotics and Meat July 2013 In late May/early June of 2013, the Consumer Reports National Research Center polled 1,120 California residents who bought meat and/or poultry at Trader Joe’s or other supermarkets to explore their attitudes about buying and consuming meat raised with and Continue Reading
- The Overuse of Antibiotics in Food Animals Threatens Public Health
Experts weigh in on the connection between antibiotic use in animals and the loss of effectiveness of these drugs in human medicine
- Take this flyer to Trader Joe’s!
Trader Joe’s needs to hear from you, their customers! Download our version of their ‘Fearless Flyer’ and take it with you the next time you shop. Get instructions and download the flyer here!
- Read the report: “Meat On Drugs: The Overuse of Antibiotics in Food Animals & What Supermarkets and Consumers Can Do to Stop It”
Click here to see the full report.
- What’s in a name: Reading meat labels about antibiotic use
Consumers can have a very high level of trust that any meat and poultry labeled “USDA Organic” has never been given any antibiotics at any stage of production. Organic producers follow strict USDA guidelines in order to use the label on their products, which indicates that many healthful and environmentally sound practices were employed in Continue Reading
- Will meat raised without antibiotics cost more?
Meat and poultry raised without antibiotics does not have to be expensive. In the Consumer Reports shopper survey, prices of such meat and poultry varied considerably depending on store, type of meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey) and cut. In some cases our shoppers found prices that were actually lower than the national average. For example, while the national average price in March Continue Reading
- What should the government do to regulate antibiotics?
Consumers Union recommends government take the following actions to end the overuse of antibiotics in livestock production. Congress While consumer pressure may be a more immediate catalyst for moving livestock producers away from using antibiotics, a long-term and more permanent legislative or regulatory solution would be ideal. A bill that has been introduced in Congress, the Preservation Continue Reading
- Consumer Opinion Poll on Antibiotics in Animal Feed
Survey Research Report, Consumer Reports® National Research Center
- Palm Beach Post ad urges Trader Joe’s to end the sale of meat raised on drugs
CU campaign calls on grocer to take a stand for public health and stop selling meat raised on antibiotics
- CU urges Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics upon opening of new Burlington, VT store
Campaign urges Trader Joe’s to help curb a major public health crisis
- Washington City Paper ad urges Trader Joe’s to end sale of meat raised on drugs
Consumers Union ad asks company to stop selling antibiotic-raised meat
- Tampa Bay Times Ad Urges Trader Joe’s To Stop Selling Meat Raised On Antibiotics
Ad highlights how the overuse of antibiotics by the meat industry on healthy livestock threatens public health by making these medications less effective for treating disease.
- Consumers Union won’t “Butt Out” of animal antibiotics campaign
The following letter was submitted to the Idaho Statesman in response to ads that ran this week targeting CU and demanding we “butt out” of Idaho and our campaign asking Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. March 13, 2014 To the Editor: The full page ad by Tree Top Ranch that ran Continue Reading
- Boise Statesman Ad Urges Trader Joe’s to Stop Selling Meat Raised On Antibiotics
Over 650,000 consumers across the country have called on Trader Joe’s to be an industry leader on this critical public health issue.
- Chick-fil-A praised for “No-Antibiotics” chicken pledge
Company announces it will only sell chicken raised without antibiotics within five years
- Ad Urges Trader Joe’s To Help Curb A Major Public Health Crisis
Campaign Calls On Grocer To Stop Selling Meat Raised On Antibiotics
- New Trader Joe’s in Colorado is target of Meat Without Drugs campaign
Consumers Union urges grocer to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics
- Consumer Reports: Potentially harmful bacteria found on 97 percent of chicken breasts tested
About half of samples tested had at least one bacteria resistant to three or more classes of antibiotics
- Trader Joe’s answer to 750,000 people? So far, zip
About 750,000 people so far have asked Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. But how has the company responded? Take Action Now: Tell TJ’s CEO Dan Bane to stop ignoring you and commit to ending the sale of antibiotic-raised meat! The marketplace is moving against meat raised on antibiotics. Already, several national Continue Reading
- July 4th grillers show us their no-antibiotics meat and say: Not On My Grill!
We asked you to show us your meat — and did you ever. Last week for July 4th, we got dozens and dozens of photos from folks who said “Not On My Grill!” and shared shots of meat raised without antibiotics they used in their holiday grilling adventures. Lots of others folks wrote in Continue Reading
- #19: Trader Joe’s (still) sells meat raised on antibiotics
Read Buzzfeed’s 18 Incredible Things You Didn’t Know About Trader Joe’s, and you’ll learn some tidbits about Hawaiian shirts and ginger snaps. But the thing we find pretty incredible (perhaps #19?) is that this company still continues to stock its shelves with meat from animals raised on antibiotics. We know Trader Joe’s customers expect better. Continue Reading
- A turning tide on antibiotic-raised meat
” A post-antibiotic era – in which common infections and minor injuries can kill– is a very real possibility for the 21st century.” “If we don’t act now, our medicine cabinet will be empty and we won’t have the antibiotics we need to save lives.” You’d think that these kinds of alarm bells sounded by not-so-alarmist organizations as Continue Reading
- Are you a Food Patriot? You will be soon! Join us for the online screening 2/26
At 15, Sam Spitz was on the top of the world. He pitched varsity baseball as a freshman, sprouted three inches in the off-season. Pro scouts even came calling. Then he ate a chicken caeser salad that changed his life. Within three days Sam was doubled over and headed to the emergency room. Sickened with Continue Reading
- Rocky Mountain love for the Meat Without Drugs campaign
The Meat Without Drugs team rocked the Rockies last week for the opening of three Trader Joe’s stores in Colorado on February 14th. The company opened its first stores in the state – two in Denver and one in Boulder – and the team was overwhelmed by support for our campaign asking Trader Joe’s to Continue Reading
- Chick-Fil-A pledges to sell chicken raised without antibiotics
Fast food chain Chick-Fil-A announced today that within five years all of the chicken sold at their restaurants will be raised without antibiotics, marking “the first time a quick service restaurant has committed to a 100 percent ‘raised without antibiotics’ standard for poultry,” says PR Newswire. In their online statement, Chick-Fil-A says the company is “collaborating Continue Reading
- Help Get Joe Off Drugs, Colorado!
Hey Coloradans! Do you love meat raised without antibiotics? We do! Come out this Valentine’s Day and help us show the love. Together we’ll ask the three new Trader Joe’s stores in the Boulder/Denver area to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. Our Meat Without Drugs campaign is working to convince grocery stores – starting Continue Reading
- Sing along! Our holiday message to Trader Joe’s
Dashing Through Trader Joe’s Dashing through Trader Joe’s, With a red cart as my sleigh. Through the shelves I roam, Shopping all the way But then I spy the meat I don’t know what to pick Was this meat given drugs? If so it really makes me ticked. Oh, Trader Joe’s, Trader Joe’s please end Continue Reading
- Get Smart About Antibiotics, starting with your turkey
Ever had strep? A UTI? You probably ran to the drug store with a scribbled prescription for antibiotics and felt a whole lot better within a couple of days. It’s a scenario we all take for granted. But the CDC is sounding the alarm that antibiotic resistance “is considered one of the world’s most critical Continue Reading
- Consumer group launches campaign over Trader Joe's sales of meat raised on antibiotics Source: Tampa Bay Times (Monday March 17, 2014)
- Trader Joe’s faces criticism over use of antibiotics Source: Tampa Bay Business Journal (Tuesday March 18, 2014)
- Full-Page Ads Thank Trader Joe’s For Giving Consumers The Choice To Eat Drugged-Up Meat Source: Consumerist (Friday March 14, 2014)
- The Fat Drug Source: New York Times (Saturday March 8, 2014)
- Consumer group's campaign for Trader Joe's to go antibiotic-free comes to Boise Source: Idaho Statesman (Tuesday February 25, 2014)
- Why Are There Still So Many Antibiotics In America's Meat? Source: Prevention Magazine (Tuesday February 25, 2014)
- Trader Joe's urged to drop meat from animals raised with antibiotics Source: LA Times (Monday February 24, 2014)
- Americans Want Antibiotic-Free Chicken, And The Industry Is Listening Source: NPR (Wednesday February 19, 2014)
- Drugs and meat: Trader Joe's opening opens conversation Source: Boulder Daily Camera (Friday February 14, 2014)
- Advocacy Group Targets Trader Joe’s Over Meat Raised On Antibiotics Source: CBS Denver (Tuesday February 11, 2014)