Meat without Drugs
Many dangerous strains of bacteria are now resistant to most common antibiotics. Yet we continue to saturate our environment with antibiotics to promote the growth of livestock raised in crowded and unsanitary conditions. We must preserve our antibiotics, while improving life for our animals.
Consumers Union Documents
- Report: Prescription for Change
Antibiotics Use in Humans & Animals Amidst Growing Concerns of Doctors
- 2,000 Medical Professionals Ask Trader Joe’s to End Sale of Meat Raised on Antibiotics
Letter delivered to Trader Joe’s headquarters on October 23, 2014
- CU letter to Trader Joe’s regarding overuse of antibiotics in livestock production
For over a year, Consumers Union has been urging Trader Joe’s to be an industry leader by stopping the sale of meat and poultry raised on antibiotics
- CU joins others in message to Obama Administration: End antibiotic overuse in food animal production
FDA recognized as early as 1977 that nontherapeutic uses of medically-important antibiotics in livestock feed threaten human health.
- Survey of Trader Joe’s Shoppers on Antibiotics and Meat
Consumer Reports National Research Center Survey of Trader Joe’s Shoppers on Antibiotics and Meat July 2013 In late May/early June of 2013, the Consumer Reports National Research Center polled 1,120 California residents who bought meat and/or poultry at Trader Joe’s or other supermarkets to explore their attitudes about buying and consuming meat raised with and Continue Reading
- The Overuse of Antibiotics in Food Animals Threatens Public Health
Experts weigh in on the connection between antibiotic use in animals and the loss of effectiveness of these drugs in human medicine
- Take this flyer to Trader Joe’s!
Trader Joe’s needs to hear from you, their customers! Download our version of their ‘Fearless Flyer’ and take it with you the next time you shop. Get instructions and download the flyer here!
- Read the report: “Meat On Drugs: The Overuse of Antibiotics in Food Animals & What Supermarkets and Consumers Can Do to Stop It”
Click here to see the full report.
- What’s in a name: Reading meat labels about antibiotic use
Consumers can have a very high level of trust that any meat and poultry labeled “USDA Organic” has never been given any antibiotics at any stage of production. Organic producers follow strict USDA guidelines in order to use the label on their products, which indicates that many healthful and environmentally sound practices were employed in Continue Reading
- Will meat raised without antibiotics cost more?
Meat and poultry raised without antibiotics does not have to be expensive. In the Consumer Reports shopper survey, prices of such meat and poultry varied considerably depending on store, type of meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey) and cut. In some cases our shoppers found prices that were actually lower than the national average. For example, while the national average price in March Continue Reading
- Consumer Reports poll: Doctors concerned about use of antibiotics in healthy livestock
Over 2,000 medical professionals call on Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics
- CU praises California Governor Jerry Brown for vetoing weak bill to ban the use of antibiotics in livestock
Consumers Union praised California Governor Jerry Brown for vetoing Senate Bill 835, which would have banned the use of antibiotics for growth promotion and require a veterinarian prescription for a livestock antibiotic.
- Trader Joe’s urged to end sale of meat raised on antibiotics with opening of new Syracuse store
CU calls on grocer to help curb major public health crisis
- Consumers Union Ad urges Trader Joe’s to help curb a major public health crisis
Campaign calls on grocer to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics
- Groups deliver 92,000 more petition signatures to Trader Joe’s
Consumers urge the grocer to end its sale of meat raised on antibiotics
- Palm Beach Post ad urges Trader Joe’s to end the sale of meat raised on drugs
CU campaign calls on grocer to take a stand for public health and stop selling meat raised on antibiotics
- CU urges Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics upon opening of new Burlington, VT store
Campaign urges Trader Joe’s to help curb a major public health crisis
- Washington City Paper ad urges Trader Joe’s to end sale of meat raised on drugs
Consumers Union ad asks company to stop selling antibiotic-raised meat
- Tampa Bay Times Ad Urges Trader Joe’s To Stop Selling Meat Raised On Antibiotics
Ad highlights how the overuse of antibiotics by the meat industry on healthy livestock threatens public health by making these medications less effective for treating disease.
- Consumers Union won’t “Butt Out” of animal antibiotics campaign
The following letter was submitted to the Idaho Statesman in response to ads that ran this week targeting CU and demanding we “butt out” of Idaho and our campaign asking Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. March 13, 2014 To the Editor: The full page ad by Tree Top Ranch that ran Continue Reading
- Racy Carl’s Jr. Super Bowl commercial features new no-antibiotics burger
Burger chain Carl’s Jr. touted the newest addition to its menu – an ‘All-Natural’ burger – with a risqué commercial during the Super Bowl. The burger is made with beef from grass fed, free-range cattle given no antibiotics or hormones, and is the first of its kind to be offered by a major fast food chain. Continue Reading
- Wrapping up 2014, more companies announce meat raised without antibiotics
A flurry of end-of-year activity has made December a notable month for corporate announcements regarding meat raised without antibiotics. Check out the companies that made headlines this month: Carl’s Jr. became the first major fast food chain to add an “All-Natural” burger to its menu, which is raised without antibiotics, hormones or steroids and is Continue Reading
- Major U.S. school systems announce new no-antibiotics chicken policy
Six of the largest school systems in the U.S. announced plans to serve students chicken raised without antibiotics in school cafeterias. Coordinating as the Urban School Food Alliance, the schools represent nearly 3 million students and include New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Miami-Dade County and Orlando County. The new policy mandates that all chicken Continue Reading
- This Halloween: Unmask Your Meat
There’s a dirty little secret the meat industry would rather keep you in the dark about. While the World Health Organization, CDC and nearly every other major public health group is calling antibiotic resistance one of the scariest health crises of our time, the vast majority of antibiotics in the US – eighty percent! Continue Reading
- 2,000 medical professionals ask Trader Joe’s: no more meat on antibiotics
A special message was delivered today to Trader Joe’s headquarters in Monrovia, CA from 2000 medical professionals from across the country: We write with an urgent request for Trader Joe’s to be a proactive leader in the fight to preserve our antibiotics, and end the sale of meat from livestock producers that routinely and inappropriately Continue Reading
- Success! Gov. Brown knocks down weak antibiotics bill
by Maureen Mahoney Three cheers for California Governor Jerry Brown! Today, we’re celebrating his veto of a bill that would have given industrial farms a green light to continue the dangerous overuse of antibiotics in livestock. For years, Consumers Union has tried to avert disaster by fighting the wasteful dosing of healthy farm animals Continue Reading
- Petition-wielding pigs visit Trader Joe’s
A herd of pigs walks into an office complex… Sounds like the start of a bad joke, right? But no jokes here. A group of pig-eared campaign supporters, led by our intrepid Joe the Pig, visited Trader Joe’s Monrovia, CA headquarters this week to deliver 92,000 more consumer signatures asking the company to stop selling Continue Reading
- Trader Joe’s answer to 750,000 people? So far, zip
About 750,000 people so far have asked Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. But how has the company responded? Take Action Now: Tell TJ’s CEO Dan Bane to stop ignoring you and commit to ending the sale of antibiotic-raised meat! The marketplace is moving against meat raised on antibiotics. Already, several national Continue Reading
- July 4th grillers show us their no-antibiotics meat and say: Not On My Grill!
We asked you to show us your meat — and did you ever. Last week for July 4th, we got dozens and dozens of photos from folks who said “Not On My Grill!” and shared shots of meat raised without antibiotics they used in their holiday grilling adventures. Lots of others folks wrote in Continue Reading
- #19: Trader Joe’s (still) sells meat raised on antibiotics
Read Buzzfeed’s 18 Incredible Things You Didn’t Know About Trader Joe’s, and you’ll learn some tidbits about Hawaiian shirts and ginger snaps. But the thing we find pretty incredible (perhaps #19?) is that this company still continues to stock its shelves with meat from animals raised on antibiotics. We know Trader Joe’s customers expect better. Continue Reading
- Should We Continue to Feed Antibiotics to Livestock? Source: National Geographic (Friday February 13, 2015)
- A Bug in the System Source: New Yorker (Monday February 2, 2015)
- Consumer Group Calls On McDonald's: Help Save Antibiotics Source: KRWG TV/FM (NPR) (Thursday January 22, 2015)
- Let’s Address the State of Food Source: New York TImes (Monday January 19, 2015)
- The uphill battle fast food giants face in 2015 Source: CNBC (Friday January 2, 2015)
- Veterinarians face conflicting allegiances to animals, farmers - and drug companies Source: Reuters (Tuesday December 23, 2014)
- Panera takes another step toward ethical meat practices Source: Fortune (Wednesday December 17, 2014)
- Carl's Jr. to roll out 'natural' burger Source: USA Today (Tuesday December 9, 2014)
- Big U.S. school districts plan switch to antibiotic-free chicken Source: Reuters (Tuesday December 9, 2014)
- Powerful antibiotic for cows often misused by farmers Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Thursday December 4, 2014)