Meat without Drugs
Many dangerous strains of bacteria are now resistant to most common antibiotics. Yet we continue to saturate our environment with antibiotics to promote the growth of livestock raised in crowded and unsanitary conditions. We must preserve our antibiotics, while improving life for our animals.
- SF Chronicle Ad Urges Trader Joe’s to Stop Selling Meat Raised on Antibiotics
Ad calls on company to end this practice that contributes to the growing problem of antibiotic-resistance.
- Consumers Union Applauds Senate Bill to Boost Data on Use of Antibiotics in Meat
A bipartisan group of senators introduced a bill that would help the FDA study the use of antimicrobial drugs in food producing animals
- Ad in LA Times Urges Trader Joe’s to Stop Selling Meat Raised on Antibiotics
Ad highlights how the overuse of antibiotics in livestock is promoting the spread of drug resistant superbugs that threaten public health.
- CU urges Congress to stop superbugs and make ground turkey safer
Consumers Union is also asking members of Congress to support legislation that would address these issues
- Consumer Reports: Bacteria on turkey raised without antibiotics showed significantly less antibiotic resistance than bacteria on conventional turkey
Ninety percent of samples had one or more of the five bacteria for which CR tested
- Meat Without Drugs campaign heads to Davis, CA Trader Joe’s
The campaign aims to convince the grocer to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics.
- Consumers Union Endorses Bill to Stop Superbugs, Curb Overuse of Antibiotics on Food Animals
Rep. Louise Slaughter reintroduces bill to end the overuse of antibiotics in livestock production.
- Meat Without Drugs Campaign in Santa Cruz for Valentine’s Day
Special Valentine’s Day outreach event aims to convince Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat and poultry raised on antibiotics.
- Trader Joe’s Urged to Get “Joe the Pig” Off Drugs For the Holidays
Meat Without Drugs Campaign Makes Holiday Push In San Francisco
To Convince Trader Joe’s to Stop Selling Meat Raised on Antibiotics
- New study: Consumer Reports finds antibiotic-resistant bacteria in pork products
New research showed contamination by several kinds of bacteria, much of which proved resistant to one or more antibiotics important in human medicine.
- Op-ed: Grocers, shoppers can slow public health threat
“Public health experts have been sounding the alarm that the antibiotics we all depend on to fight off deadly infections are losing their power,” kicks off an op-ed penned by Jean Halloran of Consumers Union in the the San Francisco Chronicle today. While doctors are trying to reduce the spread of antibiotic-resistant superbugs by only Continue Reading
- Take a pledge against the “extravagant, inappropriate” use of antibiotics in meat production
Before you fire up the grill for your July 4th celebration, we have a request. Put down the mustard, step away from the relish, and ask yourself: are the hot dogs sizzling on your holiday barbecue contributing to the growing problem of antibiotic resistance? Animals raised for meat are routinely dosed with antibiotics to Continue Reading
- San Franciscians: tell Trader Joe’s no more meat on drugs
We know Bay Area folks have a lot of love for Trader Joe’s – after all, the city of San Francisco alone contains five Trader Joe’s stores within its mere 49 square miles. But what a lot of TJ’s shoppers don’t realize about one of their favorite grocery store chains is that much of the Continue Reading
- We’ve been talking turkey
Consumers Union activists have been making Congress sit up and listen about the dangerous overuse of antibiotics on healthy livestock. Incredibly, eighty percent of all antibiotics are given not to sick people but are sold for use in animals, mostly to make them grow faster and tolerate crowded and unsanitary factory farms. That reckless practice Continue Reading
- Loyal, misinformed employees defend Trader Joe’s on Facebook
Trader Joe’s employees are a loyal bunch, so much so that many believe their beloved Joe can do no wrong. So when a group of workers saw our Facebook post last week asking the company to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics, the response was … notable. Getting past the name calling (and some colorful Continue Reading
- Trader Joe’s responds on antibiotics issue, but still no commitment
In response to hundreds of calls Trader Joe’s headquarters has been getting from customers asking them to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics, the company has issued a statement on their website. “We don’t presume to make choices for [customers],” it says, and points to some options shoppers have in their stores of organic and Continue Reading
- Say it Ain’t So, Trader Joe
For a company that says it listens to its customers, sometimes Trader Joe’s can be hard to reach. And for a friendly ‘neighborhood grocery store,’ sometimes they’re not so friendly when you actually do. For almost a year, Consumers Union has been trying by various means to start a dialogue with the grocery chain on Continue Reading
- LA Times ad urges Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on anitibiotics
Pick up a copy of the LA Times today? If so, you probably saw this ad urging Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. It’s an ask that’s been made many times – in many ways – over the past year by hundreds of thousands of you, but so far Trader Joe’s isn’t listening. Continue Reading
- Consumer Reports turkey tests find fewer superbugs in ‘no antibiotics’ meat samples
The meat industry wants us to believe that routinely feeding antibiotics to animals is nothing to worry about. But a new investigation from Consumer Reports found plenty of reasons to be concerned. The study analyzed 257 samples of both conventional and ‘no antibiotics’ ground turkey from supermarket shelves and found widespread bacterial contamination. But the bacteria in Continue Reading
- (Super)Moms, chefs, docs fight overuse of antibiotics in livestock in D.C.
Danielle Wadsworth thought nothing of the ground beef she cooked up one night to make tacos for dinner. But several days later, quarantined in the hospital fighting for her life, she was told that she was sickened by Salmonella typhmurium, an antibiotic-resistant strain of salmonella that was later traced to the beef she’d eaten. Today, Continue Reading
- Foster Farms Chicken Lawsuit Will Focus on Antibiotic Resistance Source: Food Poisoning Bulletin (Friday November 22, 2013)
- Imagining the Post-Antibiotics Future Source: Medium (Wednesday November 20, 2013)
- Aw crap! Antibiotic-resistant bacteria surfacing in animal poop Source: Salon (Saturday November 16, 2013)
- Are Farm Veterinarians Pushing Too Many Antibiotics? Source: National Public Radio (Friday November 1, 2013)
- Antibiotic use in agriculture encourages superbugs Source: The Baltimore Sun (Thursday November 7, 2013)
- Editorial: Urgent action needed on ‘superbugs’ Source: The Sacramento Bee (Saturday November 2, 2013)
- OP-ED: Curbing antibiotics on farms taking too long Source: USA Today (Sunday October 27, 2013)
- Groups press Obama administration to approve FDA rule against misuse of antibiotics in agriculture Source: The Oregonian (Thursday October 24, 2013)
- Report: Feeding antibiotics to livestock is bad for humans, but Congress won’t stop it Source: Washington Post (Tuesday October 22, 2013)
- Continuing Salmonella Outbreaks Source: The New York Times (Friday October 18, 2013)