Meat without Drugs
Many dangerous strains of bacteria are now resistant to most common antibiotics. Yet we continue to saturate our environment with antibiotics to promote the growth of livestock raised in crowded and unsanitary conditions. We must preserve our antibiotics, while improving life for our animals.
- Consumers Union Endorses Bill to Stop Superbugs, Curb Overuse of Antibiotics on Food Animals
Rep. Louise Slaughter reintroduces bill to end the overuse of antibiotics in livestock production.
- Meat Without Drugs Campaign in Santa Cruz for Valentine’s Day
Special Valentine’s Day outreach event aims to convince Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat and poultry raised on antibiotics.
- Trader Joe’s Urged to Get “Joe the Pig” Off Drugs For the Holidays
Meat Without Drugs Campaign Makes Holiday Push In San Francisco
To Convince Trader Joe’s to Stop Selling Meat Raised on Antibiotics
- New study: Consumer Reports finds antibiotic-resistant bacteria in pork products
New research showed contamination by several kinds of bacteria, much of which proved resistant to one or more antibiotics important in human medicine.
- CU Highlights Overuse of Drugs in Food Animals for “Get Smart About Antibiotics Week”
Consumers Union Urges Major Reduction of Antibiotics in Food Animal Production To Protect Public Health Consumer Group Highlights The Overuse of Drugs In Food Animals During CDC’s “Get Smart About Antibiotics Week” YONKERS, NY — Consumers Union, the policy and advocacy arm of Consumer Reports, today called for a major reduction in the Continue Reading
- New bill would require disclosure of antibiotics used in meat production
Rep. Henry Waxman plans to introduce bill that would provide new information to the FDA on use of antibiotics in food animals.
- Nearly 560,000 Call on Trader Joe’s to Stop Selling Meat Raised on Antibiotics
CU hosts press event at Union Square flagship store to deliver petition signatures to the grocer
- Meat Without Drugs campaign targets new Trader Joe’s stores
Consumers Union urges the grocery store to sell only meat and poultry raised without antibiotics
- Consumers Union rebuts meat industry letter on Meat Without Drugs campaign
Letter to two Congressional committees refutes industry claims about Consumers Union’s recently released report and campaign.
- Consumer Reports releases “Meat On Drugs” study; Consumers Union launches marketplace campaign
Report offers details on national supermarket chains that sell meat raised without antibiotics, a consumer poll on the issue and recommendations for shoppers. New campaign, “Meat Without Drugs” asks grocery retailer Trader Joe’s to only source meat raised without antibiotics.
- Trader Joe’s responds on antibiotics issue, but still no commitment
In response to hundreds of calls Trader Joe’s headquarters has been getting from customers asking them to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics, the company has issued a statement on their website. “We don’t presume to make choices for [customers],” it says, and points to some options shoppers have in their stores of organic and Continue Reading
- Say it Ain’t So, Trader Joe
For a company that says it listens to its customers, sometimes Trader Joe’s can be hard to reach. And for a friendly ‘neighborhood grocery store,’ sometimes they’re not so friendly when you actually do. For almost a year, Consumers Union has been trying by various means to start a dialogue with the grocery chain on Continue Reading
- LA Times ad urges Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on anitibiotics
Pick up a copy of the LA Times today? If so, you probably saw this ad urging Trader Joe’s to stop selling meat raised on antibiotics. It’s an ask that’s been made many times – in many ways – over the past year by hundreds of thousands of you, but so far Trader Joe’s isn’t listening. Continue Reading
- Consumer Reports turkey tests find fewer superbugs in ‘no antibiotics’ meat samples
The meat industry wants us to believe that routinely feeding antibiotics to animals is nothing to worry about. But a new investigation from Consumer Reports found plenty of reasons to be concerned. The study analyzed 257 samples of both conventional and ‘no antibiotics’ ground turkey from supermarket shelves and found widespread bacterial contamination. But the bacteria in Continue Reading
- (Super)Moms, chefs, docs fight overuse of antibiotics in livestock in D.C.
Danielle Wadsworth thought nothing of the ground beef she cooked up one night to make tacos for dinner. But several days later, quarantined in the hospital fighting for her life, she was told that she was sickened by Salmonella typhmurium, an antibiotic-resistant strain of salmonella that was later traced to the beef she’d eaten. Today, Continue Reading
- More evidence shows animals spread antibiotic-resistant infections to humans
Evidence of the passing of the potentially deadly antibiotic-resistant infection MRSA from animals to humans just grew stronger according to a new study out of the University of Cambridge. The Cambridge scientists, using DNA fingerprinting, matched MRSA superbugs in two different people to MRSA in the cows and sheep on the farms where they lived. Continue Reading
- Congress introduces bill to curb antibiotics in food animals
Recently the CDC raised the alarm about antibiotic resistant bacteria (superbugs) and the implications they have on public health in the United States. A report from Dr. Tom Frieden, Director of the US Centers for Disease Control, warned that “our strongest antibiotics don’t work and patients are left with potentially untreatable infections.” Citing the connection Continue Reading
- Call grows for action on antibiotics in food animals
There’s been a growing call for action in recent weeks to address the threat to public health posed by the routine use of antibiotics in healthy food animals. It’s no wonder given years of inaction by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and mounting evidence that the overuse of antibiotics in meat production is getting worse. Continue Reading
- Trader Joe’s employees offer misleading claims about their meat
Ask a Trader Joe’s employee about the meat in your shopping basket, and you may or may not get an answer based on, well, facts. We’ve received reports from over 100 people who talked to Trader Joe’s managers, employees and customer service reps across the country with the request that the company stop selling meat Continue Reading
- Trader Joe’s, we’re not feeling the love
Trader Joe’s: we’ve got a message for you this Valentine’s Day. Your customers tell us they love you for a lot of reasons. Your salsa. Your trek mix. Your kid-sized shopping carts. One cat even says he loves your reusable shopping bags. But love and hate make up any relationship – and they hate that Continue Reading
- OP-ED: Curbing antibiotics on farms taking too long Source: USA Today (Sunday October 27, 2013)
- Groups press Obama administration to approve FDA rule against misuse of antibiotics in agriculture Source: The Oregonian (Thursday October 24, 2013)
- Report: Feeding antibiotics to livestock is bad for humans, but Congress won’t stop it Source: Washington Post (Tuesday October 22, 2013)
- Continuing Salmonella Outbreaks Source: The New York Times (Friday October 18, 2013)
- Warnings as salmonella strains resist antibiotics Source: San Francisco Gate (Wednesday October 16, 2013)
- Should You Eat Chicken? Source: The New York Times (Tuesday October 15, 2013)
- F.D.A. Bans Three Arsenic Drugs Used in Poultry and Pig Feeds Source: The New York Times (Tuesday October 1, 2013)
- Antibiotic-Resistant Infections Lead to 23,000 Deaths a Year, C.D.C. Finds Source: The New York Times (Monday September 16, 2013)
- Riots, Rage and Resistance: A Brief History of How Antibiotics Arrived on the Farm Source: Scientific American (Tuesday September 3, 2013)
- Unintended consequences of antibiotics on the farm Source: Houston Chronicle (Tuesday September 3, 2013)